I have seen a lot of posts from people claiming why they don’t ship 2min and the general argument is “people who ship 2min suck at shipping they make it all crappy and wrong.”
And I understand your point. I know the feeling of having a ship mutilated with the ridiculous roles of “seme and uke” like that of poorly written yaoi mangas where one is bigger, domineering, and condescending towards the smaller, who is fragile, feminine, and incapable of doing things by themselves.
I went through this song and dance in the Tokio Hotel fandom and I’m still doing it here with 2min and frankly it’s wearing me out a little.
So, with all this 2min dislike based on the horrible fics people write and the stale, boring concepts that are used over and over that make 2min hated (and Jongkey as well, but that’s a different text post), I thought I might take a minute and discuss a few things about 2min I enjoy as a shipper.
- Minho is very protective of Taemin. Yeah, I know, this is one of the complaints, but hear me out. Minho himself has stated that he was going to be the maknae of SHINee and when Taemin came, replacing him as the maknae, he felt it was his responsibility to look after Taemin. To me, that sends a caring, loving vibe. You’re the youngest and it may seem a bit overwhelming for you because you’re two years younger than me but don’t worry, I’m here, I’m going to look out for you, because I know how you felt and I have your back. It’s not a smothering protection; it’s a loving protection. What I feel the basis for this is Minho going “I don’t ever want you to feel upset or stressed or worried or overwhelmed. I’m here to support and protect you. Even if you need to cuddle me at night because stuff seems rough, I have you.” That’s pretty freaking sweet to me.
- They balance each other. Taemin, I feel, is a little scattered and possibly a little ditzy, even though he means well. You all have heard the stories of lost cell phones and various blond moments. He’s not stupid, just a little vague at times. Happens to the best of us. Minho, I feel, is so goal-oriented and competitive and such a go-getter that it may often give him tunnel vision. When they’re together, they make a perfect balance. Minho gives Taemin this sense of togetherness that Taemin’s otherwise usual scatteredness ignores, and Taemin gives Minho the feeling that yeah, sometimes things aren’t so perfect but you roll with it anyway.
- They really do genuinely seem to care for each other. While the argument I reblogged earlier mentioned that Taemin has problems with people invading his space, he seems extremely comfortable around Minho, and is very much okay with invading his space*. While Taemin is also okay with going to the other members, I feel that he has more ease around Minho, like no matter what he does or what Minho does back to him, they’ll be okay with it. Lap sitting, hugging, cheek smooches, they don’t care. They’re relaxed around each other and it makes for the perfect imaginings of them cuddling on the couch under a blanket with mugs of warm tea while they watch a soccer game.
- I cannot lie here, the contrast of their physiques makes them look pretty together. Everyone here knows Taemin is overly feminine and Minho is about as masculine as “el” in Spanish. It just works out that way. It’s not a trope, it’s fact. Taemin has a pretty face and Minho works out. Get over it. And thei differences make them cute. If they were in porn, Taemin would be called the twink and we aaaaaaaaall know it. So why ignore it? They’re fairly close in height and yet their differences of physique makes them an adorable cliche that I want to smother with love.
- While their physiques are cliche, I don’t think their personalities are. I feel that Taemin has a strong personality, and is not afraid to be the boss of Minho. He knows where the pants are and puts them on quite regularly. Minho just goes with it, as he should.
I could keep going, but I have probably annoyed enough of you as it is.
Don’t ship 2min if you don’t feel like it, I respect that.
But please understand that there are many of us who ship 2min for more substantial reasons than “omg like Minho is suuuuuuuuuccch a seme to Taemin’s weak little uke, I hope he doesn’t hurt Taemin, the innocent little virgin!”
*space invasion with no fucks given